Our Legislative Policy Priorities
2022 Regular Legislative Session
- Download our post-session presentation on what happened during the 2022 regular legislative session (March 2022; 28 pages; pdf)
- Download our fact sheet on what happened during the 2022 regular legislative session (March 2022; 2 pages; pdf)
- Download our policy priorities (Dec. 2021; 2 pages; pdf)
- NOTE: Links in the bullet points below will take you to our fact sheet, policy brief, or report on the issue
New Mexico’s elected officials had an extraordinary opportunity to advance the well-being of all of our children, families, and communities during the 2022 legislative session. Better-than-expected revenues and an influx of federal relief funding allowed for greater investments in programs and services that will improve family economic security, make health care more affordable, and expand and improve a birth-to-career education system that helps our children succeed.
For more information on how the legislative sessions work and which issues can be considered in a 30-day legislative session like the one in 2022, please see our state budget guide. To find out how you can get involved in the process on issues that matter to you, please see our advocacy guide.
Here are some of our 2022 legislative priorities:
- Economic relief for immigrant families and young workers who have not received other relief funds, as well as for other families still in need of economic relief.
- Food security supports to address child hunger and strengthen food security in the state.
- Housing supports, including increasing and making recurring investments in the Housing Trust Fund.
- Health care investments to: ensure full funding of Medicaid, including enough to extend coverage for new moms from the current 2 months to 12 months postpartum, and end the Medicaid Waivers waiting list for those with disabilities; enact health care easy enrollment through the state income tax system; and make prescription drugs more affordable.
- Environmental health and climate action to: secure stronger rules and regulations for capturing methane; improve utility affordability and energy efficiency in homes; and increase state agency budgets to ensure adequate staffing and increased regulatory enforcement.
- Early childhood care and education investments to: support recent improvements to the child care assistance program, including increasing wages and supporting career ladders for ECE workers; improve infant/toddler teacher pay parity; protect funding streams for early childhood services; and support the use of federal funding to build system capacity and serve as a bridge to future funding streams.
- K-12 education improvements to: fully fund and implement the Hispanic, Indian, Black, and Bilingual Multicultural Education Acts; significantly increase school employee salaries; and expand funding for community schools and school-based health centers.
- Higher education investments to increase funding for the Opportunity Scholarship, continued full funding of tuition under the Lottery Scholarship, and teacher pipeline programs.
- Tax equity and adequacy advancements including: the creation of a new state-level Child Tax Credit; and the diversification and stabilization of the general fund by raising revenue from new sources and protecting current revenue sources by not enacting tax cuts that do not directly support equity or adequacy in the tax code.
- Equity and human rights progress including: improving language access for public programs; reducing criminal justice fines and fees and driver’s license suspensions; and protecting voting rights and ease of access to voting.
- Predatory lending reform to end lending practices that are predatory and push families deeper into debt.
2021 Regular Legislative Session
- Download our post-session presentation on what happened during the 2021 regular legislative session (April 2021; 27 pages; pdf)
- Download our fact sheet on what happened during the 2021 regular legislative session (March 2021; 2 pages; pdf)
- Download our policy priorities (Nov. 2020; 2 pages; pdf)
2020 Special Legislative Session
- Download our fact sheet on what happened during the 2020 special legislative session (July 2020; 2 pages; pdf)
- Download our policy priorities (May 2020; 2 pages; pdf)
2019 Regular Legislative Session
- Download our fact sheet on what happened during the 2019 regular legislative session (March 2019; 2 pages; pdf)
- Download our policy priorities (December 2018; 2 pages; pdf)
These fact sheets are part of our Roadmap to a Stronger New Mexico initiative. Find out more and sign up for email alerts here.