Founded in 1987 by a group of pediatricians, New Mexico Voices for Children (NM Voices) is a nonpartisan, statewide advocacy organization. We work to create systems-level sustainable change that will improve the lives of New Mexico’s children. To accomplish our mission, we work with state and national lawmakers and officials to shape and implement public policies that are supportive of children and working families.
Because we believe in evidence–based advocacy, we conduct rigorous research and data analysis. NM Voices is the only nonprofit child advocacy organization in the state examining tax and budget policy issues specific to the needs of the poor. (Learn more about our work here.)
How Advocacy Impacts Kids and Families
In 2010, one of our major funders, the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, created videos about some of their grantees as part of their annual report. The video about us explains what we do and how it impacts real children and families. Watch the short, informative video here.
In 2008, the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy (NCRP) released a report in that takes an in-depth look at 14 New Mexico nonprofits, including NM Voices. The report concludes that every dollar invested in advocacy work like ours reaps more than $157 in benefits to the state’s most vulnerable children and families. Among those benefits cited are the reforms to unemployment insurance, the raise in the minimum wage, and the creation of the working families tax credit. Download the report Strengthening Democracy, Increasing Opportunities (58 pages; pdf).
Our Vision Statement
All New Mexico children and families have equitable opportunities to thrive and to achieve their full potential.
Our Mission Statement
Our mission is to improve the status, well-being and racial/ethnic equity of New Mexico’s children, families, and communities in the areas of health, education, and economic security by promoting public policies through credible research and effective advocacy.
Our Core Values Statement
New Mexico Voices for Children conducts its work in an ethical and credible manner and demonstrates fairness and inclusivity in all its interactions.
NM Voices for Children 2012 Children’s Charter:
Our Vision for the Next Generation
- All children and their families are economically secure.
- All children and their families have a high-quality cradle-to-career system of care and education.
- All children and their families have quality health care and supportive health programs.
- All children and their families are free from discrimination based on race, ethnicity, religion, disability, gender, sexual orientation, or country of origin.
- All children and their families live in safe and supportive communities.
- All children and their families’ interests and needs are adequately represented in all levels of government through effective civic participation and protection of voters’ rights.
- All children and their families’ needs are a high priority in local, state, and federal budgets and benefit from a tax system that is fair, transparent, and that generates sufficient revenues.