We believe that all New Mexicans should be assured protection of their human rights and civil liberties, that no one should experience disparities in education, health, economic opportunity, housing, civil rights, self
determination or personal power because of their race, ethnicity, religion, disability, gender or sexual orientation, and that all immigrants to New Mexico should be protected by just and humane immigration policies.
We work to reduce the disparities caused by deeply embedded structural racism that put our minority youth at a disadvantage. For example, minority youth are more often charged and incarcerated than their white counterparts who commit the same crimes. Similarly, minority children are more often removed from their homes by child welfare agencies even when they are in the same familial situations as white children. These disparities exist even when socio-economic factors are taken into account.
Some specific goals of our racial equity work are to:
- Reduce the number of minority youth in the corrections system by eliminating racial profiling and instituting alternatives to incarceration.
- Reduce the number of minority youth in the foster care system by eliminating racial profiling and providing families with more support systems.
- Improve the high school and college graduation rates of minority youth by ensuring that educational resources are available in the communities where they are most needed.
- Lower the rates of teen pregnancy and STDs among minority youth by improving access to medically accurate reproductive information and resources.
- Educate the media about how it perpetuates stereotypes with narrow portrayals of minorities and encourage more ethnic diversity in news organizations.
To these ends, we analyze data that is disaggregated by race whenever that data is available and germane to our work in early childhood care and education, child well-being, children’s health care, tax and budget policies, and wages and work supports.
We currently have no specific funding, but it is an important aspect of our work nonetheless.